Monday, April 03, 2006

Joe's Pinblog -- now with Conjunctivitis!

Over the weekend I came down with Pink Eye... I'm not sure where I got it, though I did shake hands with someone on Friday. I've been ordered to stay home from work for three days, so I can catch up on my current purchases. Things are a little blurry, so I'll do my best.

My next purchase for Doctor Who ended up being a bit of a mistake. There was a pair of non-working CPU boards from England that I thought I would bid on, with the idea that I could pay $60 to have them fixed by either The Dallas Arcade (who I've had good luck with in the past) or The Coin-op Cauldron (recommended by the guy who sold me the game). I was actually thinking of sending a board to each to compare and contrast, keeping the one I liked best and selling the spare to offset the cost. Anyway, the key to that scheme panning out was winning the auction at a decent price. I decided that my max bid would be $115 for both boards. So when the time came (I was at work, which added to the tension), I lurked until the last minute, entered my max bid of 115, and won! Then when I went to check the cost, I saw that it was actually $160! After a few panicky wtf moments, I realized what had happened... since it was an English auction, the bid I entered was in pounds, not dollars... so I'd actually bid £115, which is almost $200. Thank goodness no one was dumb enough to bid it up that high... another American nimrod like myself and I would have been in bad shape. The final price was
£97 with shipping, which ended up being about $170, but that day I'd gotten a 10% off coupon from eBay so I used that to cushion the blow. The seller, btw, was named Edwin Mole, who I supposed used to run an arcade in Toad Hall with Ratty.

A few days later a guy listed about a zillion things I needed, but he obviously used a program to list them because they were all within a few seconds of each other (I've ranted about this earlier). The trouble here is that I foolishly bid on the first item in the group, when I should have been on the second. The second one almost always went for less... I got a power driver board for $235, which I thought was great until I saw that a newer version of the same board sold 15 seconds later for $60 less. O_o But I've already gone over that, so oh well. The third (working) CPU looks like it has a Black Rose ROM chip, so I bought a Who CPU ROM from a guy on eBay. Finally, I found that the highly regarded Great Plains Electronics had a complete set of the cables I'd need to string the backbox boards together, so I bought those for $25 including shipping.

That's where my purchases stand right now... I've received the boards from the English guy, but I'm still waiting on the three other boards, and it's been over a week. *sigh*

Power and CPU were at the top of my list of things I need to get the game going, and next up is the display and driver board. Since I'm more or less out of money for now, I'm going to probably wait and see what prices are like at the Allentown show.

OK, my left eye is really bugging me, so I'm going to leave off for now.

No comments: