Saturday, October 24, 2009

Barfin' up a blog entry

I'm really tired after a long day running around Gettysburg with my wife, daughter, dog, sister-in-law, and boyfriend-in-law. Much time was spent in strained silence while the bf-in-law, dog and I rode around by ourselves while the ladies kept their own car. I see it as penance for buying a crapload of new pinball stuff.

Yeah, I said a crapload. A pair of Terminator 2 parts games from eBay, a nearly complete Fish Tales playfield from rpg, and a mostly incomplete Bally Playboy playfield from Craigslist. Yoink!

More fascinating blow-by-blow accounts will follow, but I thought I'd open the blogging floodgates to try to get the flow of information moving again. Sadly, even though I haven't been writing, things have continued to happen.

Let's start with easy stuff. I did decide to do both the Virginia and Baltimore leagues after all. I
failed pretty decisively for the first few weeks, but I've been surging in VA so now I'm #1 in the hood, G. Last week in MD I had my first really good week and moved up into the top 5. (Both of these are in B Division, of course.) MD is an interesting league... it's in an old warehouse that's been converted into a mecca for Volleyball, and in the corner are the league's pinball machines. It's an odd place to play pin... last week, a guy was playing Shrek and a volleyball bounced off the playfield glass, barely missed his head, and landed in the kid's play area. He didn't even miss a beat and kept right on playing... I think he ended up with a pretty good score, too. They're doing construction so parking is a bitch. Overall, they're nice guys... I think they're a little more competitive than the VA gang, which would explain why I'm on top in VA and in the middle there. I don't know if I'm going to continue two nights a week after this... I'll probably alternate between the two depending on how I feel. VA is more convenient to go to after work, while MD is more convenient from home and I work at home most Wednesdays. It's also rough on the finances, because each league is $60 minimum per season. But we'll see.

And I see by the clock on the desktop that it's just past midnight, so I am now more or less 47 years old.

No comments: