Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Andthendum

And then I remembered what I was going to type last night, but forgot.

My wife wanted me to play some Katamari on the Playstation over the weekend, but before she made it down to the basement I popped in the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame (follow the link... Amazon has it new for $5.50! Score!). I'd been thinking about PHoF since I read that the PS/3 version is supposed to have Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights and either No Good Gofers or Monster Bash depending on who you listen to. I'm leaning toward NGG, though I don't consider that a big selling point... I'd think that MB would require a license from Universal Studios, which would be tough to swing in a low margin game like PHoF. Anyway, I ended up having a pretty good time playing... I finished a few goals and unlocked a wizard mode or two. I still haven't unlocked the two hidden tables yet, so I'll keep plugging along. Williams PHoF seems easier than the Gottlieb one, mainly because the goals in those damn EM tables spank me silly. Get a special in Ace High and Central Park? Please. Give me full-sized flippers and then we'll talk.

Either way, I'm eager to get more PHoFs, even if I have to sacrifice and buy a PS/3 in order to do it. I'd really like a Bally edition, but unfortunately Bally has some really good games that are unfortunately licensed properties (like Wizard! and Captain Fantastic). Fireball should be doable, though. I saw a thing online that said PHoF was actually a surprisingly good selling game, especially given the apparent lack of interest in pinball as a whole. I'd like to believe that's a simple classic games = awesome : new games = suck equation, but I just don't see that. Anyway, hopefully the prospects for new versions with more manufacturers or more games are good.

The other thing I forgot was I attempted to fix a physics problem with Eight Ball Deluxe over the weekend. The trouble is that the easiest shot to hit the Eight Ball target -- from the lower left flipper -- almost always causes a SDTM drain on my game. When I played an EBD at PAPA, I noticed that machine didn't have that problem. My puny brain reasoned that the problem was either that there is some physical object which causes this (either the clear plastic the ball rolls off of or the post at the bottom of the 8 ball target enclosure) or my machine was not in balance. The latter seemed likeliest, as I think I've only formally balanced one of my games (Quicksilver, when it was kicked upstairs to the living room). So Saturday night I decided to see what I could do. A level told me that the player-side legs were definitely off center by a bit. I tried turning the feet of the legs, but they appear to be a little rusty and wouldn't turn. I didn't want to turn this into a big production, so I cut up some cardboard squares and shoved them under the errant leg. The result? Maybe it's a little better, but not much. I think I'll need to watch it over the course of many games, and possibly take the glass off and study it in depth... probably I should keep records of how many times I lose the ball from that shot and why.

OK, this time I've said everything I wanted to say.

No comments: