Tuesday, September 01, 2009

#2!

The pinball league finals were last week and I came in a solid second place. I did great in the first half when I was playing against the other top five finishers in my division, but I pretty much choked for most of the second half with the top three. But I'm more than happy... this is my first time, so second place is good enough. I will say that there was some pretty good pinball going on... one guy who'd been knocked out of the A-Division finals was playing Twilight Zone and got Lost in the Zone in two subsequent games. Then there was the guy who almost rolled over Strikes and Spares in one ball (~900K points).

Points were given out depending on your place, and there were prizes with point values, so the end of the night was basically the shopping segment from Wheel of Fortune (the game show, not the pin). I got a framed Whirlwind translite, a Williams window sticker, and the rest on a gift certificate for the Spiegel Catalog.

I got some repairs done over the weekend. Black Knight has blown the playfield light fuse, so I replaced that. I also finally replaced the upper ball lock plastic which I've had for years but never gotten around to. The sound on Eight Ball Deluxe has been goofy, and it got to the point where it was saying the wrong things... it would say "Get the 15 ball" instead of the 8 ball. I reseated the J2 plug that goes from the CPU to the sound board, and that fixed it... so that's basically two connectors on the CPU with problems I'll need to address at some point.

Then yesterday I started thinking about Paragon's weak feature lights, and rather than fixing the power board I decided to take the easy approach and replace all of the #44 bulbs with lower power #47 bulbs to see if that helped. I ended up swapping almost 50 bulbs, and that did the trick. It's still not great when doing the lamp test, but during normal play the bulbs are nice and bright, even when the Paragon letters are flashing. It was an easy fix that I should have tried sooner.

The next couple of weeks are going to be busy... eBay season is starting soon, the White Rose show, the next league season, the league party, plus my usual crapload of non-pinball related activities. sheesh!

No comments: