Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Quick! To the Monster Slide!

Some easy stuff to catch up on. I got EBD cleared off except for the trays of playfield parts, so it's ready for me to work on it (sort of... I have to move some stuff next to it before I can get to the backbox).

My daughter mentioned a few weeks ago that she'd never seen Doctor Who working... I guess I always worked on it while she was asleep or out of the house. So when she was home from college last Saturday -- we went to see Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D -- and after she had (appropriately enough) caught up with the last two eps of Doctor Who on TV, I fired it up for her. Thankfully it worked, so I loaded it up with balls and she had fun shooting the balls around the playfield. I locked the balls in the mini-playfield so she could see the Cybermen on the DMD, since they were featured in the episodes she had just watched. Her "game" went along until I had the bright idea to hand-lift the mini-playfield so she could hit the targets... when she got the ball into one of the Dalek holes, it fell into the cabinet because the under playfield ramp isn't attached properly. She had more fun with that than she had ever had playing any of my other games for real, which was parentally gratifying.

One thing I did find out while she played is that the half-assed repair job on the Tardis opto switch that I did
worked -- all I did was twist the wires together. Yay for our side.

My CPU sold on eBay for $168, which means it almost paid for itself and the other board that I got at the same time, not counting fees. Still, I can use the money. The guy who bought it was super Type-A about packing... I finally had to tell him to lay off, I know to use non-static bags, GEEZ.

And lastly, I had a successful post to rgp tonight... I asked if there was a special doodad that closed the playfield glass switch, because my glass doesn't. The answer was no, the glass should contact the switch, so at some point I'll have to try to either adjust or disconnect it. I really would like it to stop telling me I'm going to maim myself.

No comments: