Friday, November 03, 2006

Number 1 in the Hood, G

Well, I did clear off and play Quicksilver for my birthday. Life intervened with the fixing of the EBD, though. We'll see how that plays out this weekend.

Another Doctor Who purchase, courtesy of eBay: The plastic backdrop of the Master from the mini-playfield, courtesy of my good friend pinballchuck. It includes a Tardis, which I don't need, but I'm hoping that the other guy who bid on it needs one. I'm kind of sad that the other guy bid on it, since I would have been very happy getting this for $4. As it was, I paid $23. But after living through what is now know as The Lexan Cutting Incidents, the fewer plastics I have to make the better (at least until I get tools that can effectively cut plastic). I think that leaves only the pictures of the spaceships on the ramps as the only things standing between me and a completed playfield.

I hope at this point I'm caught up on all the purchases.

Now on to the selling. I'm selling one of the WPC CPU boards on eBay. Money is a little tight these days, and I owe the family a bunch of money for mostly pinball-related purchases, so I decided to sell the two CPUs that I got back in April -- the ones that didn't work until I goofed with them. I plugged them into the game -- back in those days I didn't have a working game -- and found that one didn't boot if the multi-stop ribbon cable (J202) was plugged in, and the other booted up and tested fine. I actually did a really dumbass thing, but it's a long and boring story, the moral of which is: Always read the Switch Matrix chart carefully.

So, I've posted that board on eBay for $10, it ran up to about $100 in the first day, and it's been holding there since. It's still got 2.5 days left. My sincere wish is that this board pays for both boards from the original auction and then some (I paid $160 for both, I think). My timing is actually really good, because when I bought it there was a board or two showing up every week... now the pickings are a little slimmer, so I think I'm getting a better price.

With the other CPU, I could have it fixed professionally, but that's usually about $60. My "I don't know much about electronics" spot diagnosis is that the J202 connector is bad. I can either sell the board as is and get a somewhat diminished price for it, or level-up my soldering skills and try to fix it myself. We'll just give that one some thought and see what comes up.

No comments: