Monday, March 20, 2006

De profundis, man

Hey howdy hey. Welcome to Joe Entropy's Pinblog. "Pinblog" has already been taken somewhere else, and some guy in Turkey nabbed Pinblog on blogspot. I glanced at it, and even with no understanding of Turkish I didn't see anything about pinball or flippers or whatever so I'm pretty sure I was robbed on this name thing.

So. Ostensibly this is a blog about Pinball, but I'm sure I'll probably stray from my core competency frequently. The reason I started this is because I just got a new pinball machine and thought it would be fun and/or entertaining for people to read about my comic mishaps and wacky
adventures attempting to bring it up to even minimal functionality. If anything, you can guffaw heartily as I stumble through a repair job which I'm probably not capable of doing!

Since I've been thinking about doing this for a few weeks, I've already got a few posts mentally queued up; I'll probably spew those out over the next few days then update when something happens or I feel like typing.

We'll get into details later, but here are the basics. I currently own 5 pinball machines, which all told are about 50% functional. They are, in the order I acquired them, Stern's Quicksilver, Bally's Paragon, Williams' Black Knight, Bally's Eight Ball Deluxe, and our bloggy inspiration, Bally's Doctor Who. I bought Doctor Who off a guy on eBay for $260... it is pretty much a cabinet and most of a playfield, with no boards or anything.

That reminds me, you can most likely howl with derisive laughter at how much money I'll end up sinking into this... I estimate that I will be able to buy a fully functional game plus shipping for what I'm going to shell out to get the Doctor up and running. I'll try to keep an accurate account of what I'm spending for better or worse. Those are going to be some self-deprecating good times, let me tell you.

So, let the cartoon... begin.

No comments: