Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Time Out for Fun!

The Terminator rebuild is proceeding like gangbusters, but since there's a lot to write about and it's really late, I thought I'd post this cool stuff that I just got.

A few weeks ago, Boing Boing had a post of cool video game propaganda posters. I thought they were pretty amazing, so I ordered them as soon as I had some free money from our larger than expected tax refund (plus Zazzle, the printing company selling them, was doing a Tax Day 10.40% off sale... I've since found that they have better sales, like 40% off, so be patient).

The artist, Steve Thomas, has put out more since I bought these, and he's also got some cool Solar System travel posters that my wife really likes. 

I framed them with cheap frames on sale from Michaels and hung them in our living room just before everyone arrived for my daughter's graduation. I opted for the pretty big size, 2 x 3 feet, for maximum impact. Of course most of our family didn't realize what they were, but my wife and I like them for their sublime blend of extreme subtlety and awesomeness.

Here's the Joust poster, which was the one pictured in the Boing Boing post and pretty much immediately sold me. I loved the Joust video game as a youth.

I put the Donkey Kong poster over the couch in the most prominent position, not because it's my favorite but because it's the one that most people will be able to figure out. 

Dig Dug is, in my opinion, the least obvious, as evidenced by the fact that my daughter thought it was Speed Racer. Why would Speed Racer be pumping something and have a Pooka reflected in his visor? I believe this reflects poorly on the quality of the education that we just paid so dearly for.

There are a bunch of other posters... some I didn't care much for (like Tron) and some I like but just came out, and I've pretty much used up my free wall space. If he comes out with a Crystal Castles poster (unlikely, I know) that would be an auto-buy, but otherwise I'll just wait until he finishes the series and decide then.


OK, next time T2 rebuild stuff for real.

No comments: