Sunday, July 26, 2009

How'd THAT happen?

I'm not really sure how this came about, but I am #1 in points at the pinball league. I think it's just a matter of luck and a handful of good scores on key machines. The league scoring has this rule for "point stealing", where if your score is greater than the sum of the two players beneath you, then you steal a point from the lowest scorer. For example, normally you get 3 points for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for third. But if player one's score is 5000, P2 is 3000, and P3 is 1500, since 5000 > 3000 + 1500, P1 will steal P3's point, so the points will be P1 = 4, P2 = 2, and P3 = 0. I think P2 & P3 can steal from P4, but I'm not totally sure how that works since I thought P4 gets 0.

Anyway, I'm not sure how long I'll be on top or what that will get me if I manage to stay. I'm definitely at the top of the B Division, so another good week or two will move me up into the bottom of A Division, where the players are WAY better than I am.

This week I'm not going because tomorrow is my wife's birthday and league night probably wouldn't go over so well. So a few weeks ago I pre-played all 9 games and those scores will be used for this week. I did pretty well on a few of the games, so I'm hoping my group will get Jack*Bot (4 billion points!) this week instead of, say, Star Trek TNG (FAIL).

Not much going on in the repair world lately. I'm kind of focusing on striking a subtle balance between getting the house clean and sitting on my fat lazy ass, so there hasn't been much time for anything other than furtive practice games here and there. I have sold a couple of spare parts by answering Mr. Pinball want ads to the tune of about $50. I also traded a work table in my workspace in exchange for milk crates full of my records that were in my wife's workspace, which definitely worked out better for her. But the lost work area did give me a little extra storage space so I could move three rogue playfields from in front of a file cabinet into my area. It also got the playfields
out of our basement's flood plain, so that's good news for sure.

By the way, the Nintendo DS games that I found a few weeks ago? Instant Karma did get me after all... knocked me right on my head. Last week I carried the Super Mario 64 DS cartridge in a backpack pouch separately from my game case, and something happened to it so now it doesn't boot. I guess in a way Karma had already gotten me when I tried to play Sonic Chronicles, because that game was so bad that just playing it was like being punished.

No comments: