Sunday, April 26, 2009

Secrets of the Mystery Box... Revealed!

J.J. Abrams: I have two things to say to you: 1) It's awesome that you cast Simon Pegg as Scotty and the guy from the Harold and Kumar movies as Mr. Sulu; and 2) Stop reading now, I'm going to reveal the contents of the Mystery Box!!!

This is it, sorted into various boxes by type. Starting at the bottom plastics and circuit boards, which isn't so much a type as it is a box of the stuff I put on eBay. In the second tier, we have a CD box of all the magic nuts and screws, targets/switches/locks, followed by flipper parts (Darwin contributed the ball to this box, it was not part of the Mystery Box), and 53 pinballs in various conditions. In the top row are miscellaneous junk, plastic posts of many colors, larger plastics including a whole lot of bumper caps, and leg bolts and larger nuts. Not shown are the light bulbs, which were a motley collection of #44s, #555s, #904s, and two #89s.

So was it worth it? Well, most of the plastics sold on eBay, with the best performer being the guy in the middle right, an Elvira plastic in really nice condition that went for $13. Overall the highest priced item was a Williams relay board (not shown because it was probably under the BS Dracula graveyard) which went for $27... pretty good for an untested item. Overall, after expenses I made $80. I figure that there were about $5 worth of working bulbs, and I've already used a 904 in DW... not bad, since I was planning on picking up lights at the pinball show next week, and now I don't have to.

A lot of the stuff is unusable, but over time I'll probably be able to dip into it for various parts. I may also see if I can mix up some of it into some little mystery boxes of my own and sell them as lots on eBay... my conscience would demand that I sweeten them with some better stuff, though.

So, along with the roughly $5 worth of fun that I estimated I got out of pawing through the box, so far I'm up to about $90 worth of goods and services from the $96 I paid for it. And I now have a huge supply of odds & ends, which has already served me well more than once. Overall, I am reasonably satisfied, as I have been the author of much larger fiascos.

I also got around to listing the High Speed backglass. A guy wanted it on Mr. Pinball, so I sent him an email but I made the mistake of making a scammer joke ("I am from London in UK and I only accept Western Union payments... just kidding, I'm actually in Maryland."). It turns out he was one of those guys who only reads the first part of an email, because he replied back and said he'd found one in the US. Oh well. But since I had the pictures ready to go, I turned around and started a 5 day auction on eBay, which I usually don't do but I wanted it to finish with plenty of time so I could offer free delivery to the pinball show. I'm hoping that a local snaps it up, since I don't relish packing it for shipping. A guy from Canada asked if he could pick it up, which is a 9 hour drive one way. His max bid was only $5, though, so it doesn't look like he'll get it. I'm hoping to get about $75 for it so I can have a little extra boodle to take with me to the show.

Also on Mr. Pinball, I posted an ad for a Lotta Fun backglass again, hoping someone going to the show would respond in the affirmative. No such luck though. I also successfully avoided another round of boneheaded scammer emails by putting the following in my ad: "
Note to scammers: You must be at least as smart as I am to successfully rip me off. If not, I will waste much more of your time that you will of mine."

In repair news, my crimping supplies arrived but I haven't done anything about it yet.

Also, I was going through my old saved links and found this one about DW mini-playfield problems. Rereading it, I realized that this guy was describing my problem exactly. So I decided to do a quick round of testing, with an eye towards asking Pinball Resource to bring a motor with them to the show. And what did I find? A completely working and well-behaved mini-playfield. W? T? F? I really don't think fixing the power to the CPU board would have fixed this, so I'm kind of at a loss. I plan to turn it back on and try it out in gameplay tonight to see if the failures come back.

We went up to visit my daughter at school yesterday, and basically checked out for 20 minutes to play a few games of The Champion Pub. I've been prevented from doing so for the last couple of visits, so I had to play the Bastard Card or face the prospect of the school year ending without me playing any games of it. I had fun, beat a few boxers, lost to a lot more, got two replays, and had a hard time in the dark bar with no GI.

There is more to write about, but it's getting late and I have to walk the dog before it gets dark.

No comments: