Friday, January 09, 2009

Roman Numeral Two

Yes, it's my second post of the month. My reader Lunchbox asked if the last week's entry meant I would be posting more often; clearly, the answer is Yes! So far!

Today I attempted another pinball mini-break after work. During a lengthy compile I started checking locations near work, and thanks to the FSPA I found two available in Falls Church, about a mile or so apart. First I went to a Bowl America where they had a very dirty Sopranos for 50c per game. Unfortunately, the only Big Pussy to be found was me... I sucked pretty heavily so I only played once. My second and final stop was at the Lazy Sundae Ice Cream Shop, which not surprisingly was closed. The Simpsons Pinball Party therein taunted me silently. In all, somewhat disappointing, but look at life as a journey it's not so bad. In this case, it was an almost pointless journey that included taking the wrong freeway during rush hour, but it was a journey nonetheless.

I've been pesimistic about the future of pinball in general lately... partly it's bad economy scenarios playing out in my head, partly the Stern layoff news, and partly thinking about CSI. Everybody has been trying to be encouraged by the old saw that pinball traditionally does well when the economy goes south, but here's my problem with that: In past recessions, pinball was in a lot better shape than it is now. There were multiple manufacturers, there were fewer distractions to the potential player, and you didn't need to spend 20 minutes on the Internet and drive for half an hour to find a game. So I don't think the current recession is going to revive Stern, and I honestly don't expect Stern to make it through 2009. Obviously I'm not happy about that, but I don't see another outcome. Plus, CSI? It sounds like the genius who thought Wheel of Fortune was a bankable idea was working overtime. It doesn't help that my opinion of the show is not high... Mrs. Entropy and I watched one at her sister's house and it
was one of the dumbest things I've seen on TV for years.

Luckily, after years of being a capital-I Iconoclast, I'm used to the things I love failing miserably.

But enough moping! Let's have some reasons to be cheerful, part 3!

Um. I can't think of any. Sorry.

Well, let's address this: Lunchbox states in his comment that he doesn't have time for his pins and is thinking of getting rid of them. I respect your right to decide the fate of your games, sir, but I beg you to give plenty of serious thought before selling. I have been a pinball owner lo these 23 years now, and there are times when my collection has lain fallow for incredible stretches of time. When I'm distracted -- any shiny object will do -- months will go by when I don't even think about my games. I think between 1987 and 1990 Quicksilver was parked in my parents' garage on a dolly. Even when I'm in a non-playing stretch or when it seems like all the games are acting up, I'm frequently comforted by the fact that I could play them. Potential pinball can keep me going through rough patches. So just think about it.

No comments: