Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Pinball World Tour: Rockin' the Free World!

So, the Pinball World Tour 2008 officially concluded a few weeks ago, but I am fundamentally lazy and easily distracted. Usually things like chasing after the dog take precedence over blogging. ^_^;

Stop 1:
Continental Bar & Grill, Arlington, VA - The tour started modestly with a visit to the bar near my work. World Poker Tour was gone and Spider-man was in, so I played a few games of that.

Stop 2: Game Time, Cockeysville
, MD - This used to be a pool place where Mike and his 24 sons fixed games. I had been there to play pinball a few times, but it never seemed to be formally set up for pinball playing. Now it's basically a pinball store where you can play the games for an hourly fee. There was a pretty good selection of games, mostly from the late 80's on. I played Apollo 13 until I got the damn 13 ball multiball. I also got a chance to play Wheel of Fortune, which I figured would relieve the pressure to play it at later stops on the tour. Overall I was surprised that the games weren't all in amazing condition... I would say they were in decent pinball show condition, but not retail sale condition. Anyway, I had fun.

Stop 3: The Pinball Hall of Fame, Las Vegas, NV - I had to go on a business trip to San Diego at the end of last month, and when I found that I could fly into Las Vegas, drive to San Diego, then fly home from there cheaper than a round trip to SD, I was there. I took an early flight out and arrived in LV around noon. It took an hour or two to get my rental car and find the Hall of Fame, and I stayed for the next 8 hours or so. What can I say? It's awesome to have that many games in one spot. I played several games of the Pinball Circus, at right. After the initial shock of being there wore off, I started methodically working my way up and down the rows of games in a desperate attempt to play them all. Sadly, by the time I got the the last complete row I was about ready to fall over from exhaustion, so I started only playing the games that I hadn't played before or were really interesting. I managed to play about half of them, and if take into account the fact that a bunch weren't working, I'd say it's more like 75%. I supposed I should cut them some slack because they have 140+ games, but there were a few games that had some major problems... the Funhouse, which according to the sign had new more powerful flippers, actually had really weak flippers. I should have expected it, but Tim & Co love their crude and terrible puns (the sign describing Roger Sharpe's Sharpshooter labels it "Sharpe's Hooters"). And I did see The Hippie and I spoke briefly with Tim Arnold... I asked him how the search for the new building was coming along and we chatted about that. Overall, I had a good time and wished I could have stayed longer. I spent the night in a Motel 6 on Fremont Street and lost a few hours and about $35 gambling. I got up early the next morning, stocked up on Monster Energy Drinks and drove across the desert in a mad dash to get to San Diego Airport before 2 PM to avoid getting charged for a second day on the rental car. Here's the tragedy: I had my iPod, the car had an auxiliary jack, I had the cable to connect the two, BUT I obviously haven't ripped my copy of Wall of Voodoo's Call of the West album and didn't have the song "On Interstate 15", which I had been hoping to play while driving on Interstate 15. Bad luck there. I did pass by Calico Ghost Town, which my family would go to every few years on vacation when I was a kid. I had lunch at an In-n-Out Burger, for which I'd been feeling the In-n-Out Urge for my last several trips to California but had not had the opportunity to act on. And on the way to SD, I stopped in at:

Stop 4: Round Table Pizza, Rancho Bernardo, CA - I got this place out the the Vis
ual Pinball forum pinball listings. It was right off the 15, and though they didn't have T2 and ST:TNG, they did have an Addams Family in dirty but playable condition.

Stop 5: Poway Fun Bowl, Poway, CA - This was kind of a gamble, because it was a few miles from the 15 and my rental car was going to turn into a pumpkin soon. Contrary to the VP Forums, they did not have a Champion Pub or Theater of Magic, but they did have a Family Guy and Attack from Mars, and the game room had black lights in it which made the AFM all glowy and cool. I didn't play FG, since I had just played Shrek at the PHoF. I finished my inauspicious game, gassed up nearby, and pelted down the freeway to San Diego proper.

Super Incredible Surpise Stop 6: Loew's Coronado Bay Resort, San Diego, CA - This was my destination, where my company was having its user conference. I tried to check in but my room wouldn't be ready for another two hours. So I was wandering around the hotel in my grubby traveling clothes hoping that no clients would see me and I saw a sign that said "Game Room". And danged if they didn't have a World Cup Soccer, The Shadow, and Dracula, all in playable condition! They also had some driving/fighting/shooting games, but I was stunned at the 90's Williams goodness staring me in the face. Of course, I spent most of my conference downtime in the game room, and even coerced my coworker roommate to play a few games. We ended up playing a lot of The Shadow, because of the three it ended up being the funnest. After the fancy dress up party on the last night, I snuck in and spanked World Cup, posting the high score... mainly because a ball was stuck and the various quirks of the rule changes made the game ridiculously easy. By the time I finished I hated the game with a passion.

Stop 7: My House, Derwood, MD - Of course, I have to count the fact that I played Doctor Who a few times. I had gotten a little annoyed the the H switch was in the non-working column, but the game apparently finally figured out the problem and modified the rules. Now when you get the W, the O starts flashing and it hitting it scores the full W-H-O value, including I am happy to say, the extra ball.

Final Stop: Pinball Wizards Convention, Allentown, PA -
I'll write more in a later post on this... there was triumphantness, and there was harsh bogosity.

So, the Pinball World Tour was 8 stops, 5 states, and over a hundred games. My fingers are calloused, my wrists bleed, yet still I want more.

And finally, I had to post this most awesome eBay auction description. It reads like the opening salvo from Free Verse Arcade Poetry Slam Night. I have reduced the font size, but the shouting and singular lack of punctuation is 100% authentic. It did sell for about $600. The description is a thing of beauty.

pin bot pinball machine williams

THIS IS A PRETTY NICE ORIGINAL WILLIAMS PIN BOT PINBALL MACHINE I BOUGHT IT ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO HAD IT PROFESSIONAL SERVICED AND CLEANED PLAYED IT AND KIDS FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS UNPLUGGED IT AND JUST LEFT IT IN CORNER IN BASEMENT ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO FIRED IT UP THE RIGHT FLIPPER STARTED ACTING UP BUT STILL WORKED THEN IT STARTED RESETING ITSELF WHILE YOU WERE PLAYING IT THE SERVICE MAN CHANGED THE BATTERY PACK IN TOP AND NEW BATTERYS 7 YEARS AGO DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS OR IF ITS IT SIMPLE LIKE THAT OR NOT .KIDS LOST INTEREST AND IM READY FOR A DIFFERENT GAME IT HAS VERY GOOD RAMPS TO PLAY AND A ROBOT LIKE IMAGE MUTLIBALL ETC VERY FUN IT STILL HAS COIN CHANGERS AND KEYS BUT YOU CAN MANUELY ADD CREDITS EASILY SO ITS VERY NICE BUT A FEW BUGS GLASS IS GOOD ETC. LOCAL PICKUP IS RECOMENDED, BUT I WILL WRAP IN BLANKET AND PALLET FOR YOU IF NEEDED AND I CAN HELP LOAD TRUCK BUT YOU NEED TO ARRANGE FREIGHT HAVE FUN THANK YOU !

No comments: