Saturday, April 12, 2008

Yo, Lunchbox.

This is an interim post responding to my reader, severely bifurcated fanboy LunchboxFett. Of course, the real question that's on everyones mind is: Is he happier that SModcast is back, or about the new Star Wars TV series? We'll have to deal with that in a later blog entry.

Lunchbox writes:
Could you take pictures of the driver board and the connections you have to it? I have a manual for the game but not sure if I am missing a cable or the wiring diagram is incorrect.
When I first powered up my machine, it would reset during the test menu. I looked at the Marvin repair guides and it mentioned checking and replacing a couple of things on the driver board.

Yes I am a fanboy.

Well, at least he's boy enough to admit it.

So here goes. Here we have the entire backbox. Mine is a little messier than most, because I haven't attached the Dalex board to anything... I think the wires don't actually reach high enough for me to mount it in the proper place. Then of course there are all the goofy wiring changes caused the fact that my Dalek plugs are all wrong. I've considered the fact that I may just have incorrect plugs instead of a prototype cabinet, but then I think of the fact that the holes in the top of the cabinet are different from the other one. Anyway, here's the big picture (click on the pic for full resolution):


OK, so here's the upper left hand corner. My wife's camera, which sometimes requires half a dozen shots from different angles to get a decent shot, came through for Lunchbox with some really nice pictures.
Here's the upper right hand corner.

Now we're getting to the meat and potatoes. This is the lower left hand corner, where the serious power get doled out, yo. I don't think I detailed it in the blog, but I spent a couple hours with the manual matching wire colors to plugs... it was tedious, yet highly gratifying work. To answer your question, Lunchbox, I have found errors in the manual, but the plug documentation seemed to be pretty accurate.

And finally, the lower right hand corner. Very colorful plugs, I should point out.

Now, of course, anyone who reads this blog will know that I'm clearly no expert, but it doesn't sound like your problem is plug related. I've seen crazy stuff happen when the easily misplugged ribbon cables are askew... and I hope it's as easy as that. Keep us informed, either way.

Okay
Lunchbox, let's try this again. You check your plugs and make sure everything's as it should be. You then boot up your game and it gets through the test menu. And when that's done the game works perfectly and we go smoke a bowl. You got it? Now get your fat ass up there. And dude, don't forget your helmet. Snoogens.

No comments: