Saturday, October 06, 2007

Oo ee oo aa aa ting tang walla walla bing bang

It's always good news when the DIA indices are moving in the right direction. Thanks to healthy Doctor Who target sales, DW is teetering on the bleeding edge of profitability! It's only got $12.50 or so to go. Unfortunately I don't think I have any more ets parts (Easy to Sell in the Neopets dialect) so that might be stuck there for a while. I've also paid for a quarter of the 7 playfields. Overall I've paid for 50% of these guys with parts sales, and that's brought my loser index within striking distance of $500. Phew!

Better yet, the Fathom playfield has lots of pages views and watchers, no so many bids. It languished at the opening $10 bid until yesterday, when it finally got bid up to $37. A guy emailed me and said he'd give me $100 for the pf, but I decided to risk it and let market forces decide on the outcome. Plus eBay frowns on that practice.

Since last Sunday was the end of the no listing fees promotion, I piled 25 items on in one sitting. About a third of them have bids, but I'm hoping it will get up to about 50%. I relisted some Byte magazines from my youth which didn't sell for $2 three weeks ago but this time a guy paid $17.50 for them. Where the heck was he when I was selling the other magazines? My wife says I should be happy with what I have -- after all, this was the last of my computer mags from the 70's & 80's, which all told got me around $100-200. I guess I can look at it as ending a good run on a high note. My computer magazines are going out like the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

When I was listing the Fathom pf, I realized the White Rose show coming was an excellent selling point -- I could deliver it for free to a potential buyer at the show -- so I tried to push out the Black Jack pf to take advantage of that. Maybe if I didn't have a full time job that might have worked out, but stripping, cleaning, and listing for sale a playfield over the course of two two hour nights wasn't going to happen. I got the plastics off and most of the coils and switches, but the lights are still on. I can try to sell the plastics for some scratch, then finish the playfield at my leisure and get it, Skateball, and the spare Doctor Who ready to sell in April, right before Pinball Wizards.

Not much else going on... I've got to curtail my eBaying activities and start cleaning, since my Dad and brother are coming out from the Fatherland for a visit. Since I missed my daughter's birthday on account of post show explosive diarrhea, I'm going up to visit her at school today and taking the dog with me... that will give my wife a chance to get some pre-Dad cleaning in, and I can see my daughter and check on the NASCAR at Pizza House.

No comments: