Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bad move, human

It's astounding. Time is fleeting, madness takes its toll. But listen closely -- not for very much longer -- I've got to keep control.

Yeah, I remember buying the playfields; drinking those moments when the blackness would hit me and the void would be calling: Let's buy some playfields again!

It's just a jump to the... OK, it's sad, I can still recite Rocky Horror lyrics from memory. But what's really sad is my latest purchase. But let's be fair... this one is from my A-list: a Centaur playfield (drool drool drool). I've been watching it all week, fixating on it, obsessing a little perhaps. Tonight it ended, and the winning bid (just over $228) was higher than I wanted to pay -- heck, I wanted to pay the $1 opening bid -- but lower than my maximum, even after a last minute bidding frenzy adjustment.

On our right is the auction picture.
It seems like it's in pretty good condition, though I guess I'll find out for sure when it arrives. You'll notice that this is my first non-populated playfield, so this will be a little more of a challenge. Here's my thinking on that: Most of the parts should be readily available... posts, screws, lamp sockets, etc. I can cannibalize some from other games, like the non-bbq'd Fathom parts and stuff I'm pulling off the Doctor Who parts game that aren't likely to sell. So that leaves what's unique to this game:

- Plastics: I think I can get repros of those.
- Metal ball guides: I can probably repurpose them from other games, like Skateball.
- Targets: Tricky, but I think doable. The plastic targets can be had as repros. For the mechanisms, you have the 1-4 on the right, which I think can reset individually, like EBD. Then you've got the ORBS, which are standard targets but with a gap in the middle. Finally, you've got yer Queen's Chamber, which I'll bet are the same size as other inline targets like Paragon, Dolly Parton, and Harlem Globetrotters (sadly, the Fathom inlines are only 3 targets). I'm sure I can find hardware from other games that will fit these guys.
- The Magnet: Hopefully it's a standard magnet. ^_^;
- The Ball Trough: Unfortunately, DW only serves three balls and Centaur has five, so that's sad. But I may be able to used the serving mechanism and launch coil from DW. The Orbian Attack track underneath is just a metal rail, so I can have Hephastus create that in his forge.

And aside from the couple of dozen parts that I can't imagine existing (honestly, who would have thought there'd be a little metal thing that resets the Dalek targets?!?), I will be ready to destroy Centaur in no time! Oh, and I have to build the controller and create a framework to run it, but that should be easy!

OK, so I'm a little giddy.

And just to show you how whipped I am, I'm going to have it sent to work so I can sneak it in under my wife's radar. Oh, I am quite the little devil, aren't I? And anyway, it's the Centaur backglass that are grounds for divorce in our house, not the playfield.

It's late, and I should get to bed, so I'll save my interesting Doctor Who news for later. But here's a bit of out of character crude scatology: Last night I found a tick on my dick. I had my wife pull it off (the tick, you numbskull), and as a bonus it was a deer tick so I can start looking for rings around my penis to indicate the onset of Lyme Disease.

Next up: How the hell am I going to pay for this crazy thing?!?

No comments: